> ------------------------------
>
> From: Scott Starbuck <scott at aobe.com>
> You mentioned turning off STAC and you should disable VJ Comp as well. Van
> Jacobsen Compression applies only to packets in TCP applications, such as Telnet
> (one of the things you mention). From a conversation I had with an Ascend
> engineer one time when we were troubleshooting very similar problems to those
> you describe on a  T1 between 2 P130's,  he said VJ and STAC were most useful on
> ISDN and slower type connections and that it would actually slow down T1 or
> faster links. This was indeed the problem in our situation.

When we encountered lots of problems with our Maxes, the technicians
told us to turn off lots of features too (and we were ONLY running
ISDN).  So we disabled STAC and VJ Compression, turned off Radius and
used exclusively local profiles, etc... and some (but not nearly all)
of our problems disappeared.

Our solution was to scrap it all and buy Cisco.  You can load all the
interfaces on a Cisco box -- even a low end one.  One of Ascend's
recommendations was that we were overloading the box by trying to
connect lines to all the interfaces on it.  Advertised features,
like compression, work.  And you can use them in combination with
other features!

After getting an answer like the one you mentioned above, that should be
a clue that there are fundamental problems with the equipment.

Mike Berger
Shouting Ground Technologies, Inc.
++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com