> >except for a recurring messages in my Cistron radius logfile:
> >
> >Wed Apr 11 11:00:25 2001: Error: Accounting: no username in record
> >Wed Apr 11 11:01:37 2001: Error: Accounting: no username in record
>
> Just out of interest, what is your syslog showing when callers get this
> high pitched tone?

Very good question.  I keep syslog logging turned off most of the time.
Stupidly, I was so convinced that the problem related to the telco (as it
normally is) that I never turned on logging during the problem.  After we
moved the problem lines to a different Max, it was too late.  In order to
keep from getting caught in this mistake again, I have turned on syslog
logging on both 4000's and the 6096 and will leave it on.  I will try to
force the problem to occur again by loading up the 6096 (lucky customers get
to be guinea pigs) and I will post syslog logging information associated
with some of the these calls.

However, this morning as I was going back through the radius log and
accounting detail, I observed that the occasional error message in the log
file:

Wed Apr 11 11:01:37 2001: Error: Accounting: no username in record

Is NOT just occurring on the new Max 6096.  I am seeing them occur on at
least one of the 4000 units that was not even powered up at the time of the
major problems.  Also associated with this error message is an radius
accounting stop record but no start record.  In one case it showed
Ascend-Disconnect-Cause = 10 (the modem never detected DCD).  In several
other instances, Ascend-Disconnect-Cause = 120 (one end refused the call
because the protocol was disabled or unsupported).  During the major problem
period, I see that most if not all were Ascend-Disconnect-Cause = 185
(remote end hung up).  So I am probably totally off base in assuming that
the radius messages being seen now are a result of the same problem as was
effecting Line 3 and Line 4 on the 6096.

Dennis Duval

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com