>  > >PPP                        258 (264)
>>  >FR                         262 (268)
>>
>>  That's interesting data. Thanks.
>>
>>  >So it seems the old ISDN hardware of the P50 is sweating away at the
>>  >much higher bitrate. For this scenario FR does not offer visible
>>  >advantages regarding throughput.
>>
>>  Perhaps I'm missing something, but what does a P50 have to do with this?
>
>OK I admit I didn't have a can opener handy when I got the DSLpipe but
>the outer appearance of it made me think  it was the same hardware as a
>P50. Esp. when I saw the firmware interface with lots of parameters
>which have no meaning in a DSLpipe but in a (ISDN) P50.

Mmm. It's just IMO, but I don't think so. For example, I believe that
a Pipeline 220 has a much better processor than a Pipeline 130 (which
does have a lot in common with a P50, IIRC).

Lucent used to have a nice little Pipeline comparison chart, but I
see that they've redesigned their site, apparently with the goal of
making finding anything utterly impossible. Mission accomplished.

>  >  We use DSLPipes and Max 20s, routed, primarily FR.
>wonder, wonder..why do you prefer FR over PPP? Do you get better figures
>with FR over "real world" lines - as I don't with the 100% loss-free
>wire in the lab.

It's a toss-up. PPP requires less configuration (no FR profile to
build) and correctly returns the link speed via SNMP. FR will let you
build multiple PVCs, should you need them in the future. Technically
speaking... we flipped a coin.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/