Wow...Max Classic still extant! I first started testing software
upgrades with our then top of the line Max Classic as the Max ?HP?
(later known as the 4000) came out. With the 4000 it's P2 or P1 you need
to short (and I thought so for the 1600 as well, but see below...)

Do this very carefully (I'm talking about step 1, be careful not to bend
the LEDs, they are a bit of a pain to orient correctly into their wells
in the faceplate otherwise)
1. With all cables and power removed remove all cards from the box, open
the box and separate the 2 parts, the motherboard and the backplane.
Orient the LEDs toward you (the front).

2. Locate the battery on the right side of the motherboard, toward the
rear of the box, and insert a business card or similar non-conductive
device between the battery and the contact.

3. Leave the card in place for about 5 minutes. This will allow enough
time for the Max to "forget" its configuration.

4. Remove the card and reassemble the two parts, being careful to align
the slots for the backplane with the card interface.

5. Reattach the power cable and serial cable.

6. Power up at 9600 N-8-1 no flow-control.

7. Reconfigure the terminal/serial connection for 9600 and configure the
Max.

* Remember this will void any warranty you may possibly have on this unit *

--
Gordon Mackenzie                                          (510) 747-2790
Software Quality Assurance < Alameda < Access Engineering < INS < Lucent