** -----Original Message-----
** From: owner-ascend-users at max.bungi.com
** [mailto:owner-ascend-users at max.bungi.com]On Behalf Of Scot W. Hetzel
** Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 7:44 AM
** To: Tushar Patel; ascend-users at bungi.com
** Subject: Re: (ASCEND) pm3 and max with same radius ? (fwd)
**
** From: "Tushar Patel" <tushar at ecpi.com>
** > I recently purchased 3048, and I am trying to configure it and
** > I have simple question.
** >
** > We have been using pm3 for while, and  are usinf following radius entry
** > for all users:
** >
** > DEFAULT Authentication-Type = UNIX-PW
** > pppuser Authentication-Type = None
** >         Service-Type = Framed,
** >         Framed-Protocol = PPP,
** >         Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
**
** You may want to change your "Framed-IP-Netmask", as I don't
** believe you want
** to assign a Class C Network to your dial-up users.  Change it to:
**
**         Framed-IP-Address = 255.255.255.254,
**         Framed-IP-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
**
** >
** > It worked fine for pm3.
** >
** > Now I am reading documents on how Ascend does Ip assignments
** > It appears that I need to add following to assign Ip address
** from the pool
** >
** > Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
** >
** > Since my radius does not have that define, how can I make it
** work with out
** > adding that? Or it is must?
** > If it is must then can some body suggest radius (preferable
** free) that can
** > work with pm3 and Ascend.
** >
** I'm not sure if "Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1" is neccessary, as I don't
** remember adding that to the "users" file.
**
** We use Cistron-Radius 1.6.4 (http://www.miquels.cistron.nl/radius/) with
** both PM3 and MAX6000.
**

I've been using Ascend for several years now, and don't send very many
attributes at all, the defaults are all set on the Maxes themselves.  Here's
the profile that I use for most users:

DEFAULT Auth-Type=whatever, Framed-Protocol=PPP
	Reply-Message="Welcome to ..."

You'll note that I don't send a netmask, ip address, pool information,
compression, or anything else.  You'll also note that I use the
Framed-Protocol as a check item.  Users don't get authenticated unless
they're using PPP/PAP.

For MLPPP users, you'll need to do something like this:

mlpppuser Auth-Type=whatever, Framed-Protocol=PPP
	Port-Limit = 2,
	Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 2

You'll also need to duplicate some attributes for those profiles requiring
other things, such as extended or unlimited time limits.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks

They told me to think out of the box, but I
tripped over it, now I own my own company.