said:
> > Currently you can buy 48- or 96-port single-slot
modem cards. A DS-3
> > is only 7 96-port cards, leaving lots of slots
free. You'll need
> > high-output power supplies.
>
> I've been told by Ascend^WLucent tech support that
the max is a DS3.
> Just because you can put more cards in doesn't mean
you should.  It will
> not work reliably (I think there may be limitations
on the speed of the
> backplane).

I've seen TNTs with more than 672 modem sessions. You
are wise if you add one more card than the capacity
desired on the TNT (I'd go with 8 of those 96-port
modem cards for a single DS3 TNT if you anticipate
close to near 672 sessions for a good deal of your
evening traffic useage...Better safe than sorry).

Maybe you could put other kind of services like
digital calls as well as analog...or voip...with other
cards in those empty slots.

As for the backplane, if every user for 672
connections connected at 48-50.6k (50.6k for me, right
now as I type this, I'm amazed my lucent winmodem is
doing so well tonight) and was each downloading like
mad with as many napster connections as possible
tonight before the napster lockout...You should never
exceed the TNTs capacity when it is properly configred
and the right cards are in place. Ordinary to full DS3
usage tends to always be less than the TNTs internal
throughput limits.

- gm