Once upon a time, Gordon Mackenzie <gmackenz at yahoo.com> said:
> As for the backplane, if every user for 672
> connections connected at 48-50.6k (50.6k for me, right
> now as I type this, I'm amazed my lucent winmodem is
> doing so well tonight) and was each downloading like
> mad with as many napster connections as possible
> tonight before the napster lockout...You should never
> exceed the TNTs capacity when it is properly configred
> and the right cards are in place. Ordinary to full DS3
> usage tends to always be less than the TNTs internal
> throughput limits.

Don't forget that data has to cross the backplane more than once.  First
it goes from the ethernet card to the modem card, and then the modem
card sends the modulated data to the DS3 card.  Also, both modems and
the ethernet card are full duplex, and everything could be ISDN, so you
could have as much as 4 * 64000 * 672 = 172,032,000 bits per second.  As
I understand it, the backplace is basically a shared 155M ATM, so there
isn't really quite enough bandwidth for the thing to run full speed.
Granted, it isn't likely that you'll hit that, but there is also other
stuff going across that backplane (routing messages, control system
stuff, etc.).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>