http://www.56k.com
http://www.v90.com

As a rule, I gently explain about the digital service that calls come in on,
and that 99.9% of all connection issues are in the customer's modem and/or
phone line.  I also mention that connection speeds /will/ vary from very
slow (20k) to very fast (54k), and that there's not a damned thing we can do
to force a faster connection without the customer getting ISDN.

If this fails, I then ask the customer how it is that I have XXX customers
currently logged into the same modem pool right right at that moment.

Generally, customers are pretty understanding.  When asked at signup (or any
other time), I tell everyone that we can't guarantee connection speeds, and
that if they're on the 'net now, they can expect about the same connect
speed that they were seeing with their old ISP.  There are notable
exceptions to this, but it usually requires the telco to clean up the line
or getting the customer new firmware updates and/or a new modem.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks

They told me to think out of the box, but I
tripped over it, now I own my own company.