>At 10:42 AM 1/19/01 -0800, Peter Lalor wrote:
>>Does anyone know how one goes about getting an IPSec hash code for a
>>Pipeline 130 these days? It used to be that you'd simply enter the
>>serial number at http://www.ascend.com/firewallforfree and they'd
>>send you the hash code.
>>
>>Later, they decided that the P130 is too slow to do IPSec and
>>firewall, so you'd get a hash code that did one or the other, but not
>>both.
>>
>  >Anyone using IPSec on a Pipeline 130? Any comments or caveats?
>
>	I think you hit the nail on the head with the analysis about
>	the P130.  You would be better suited with another super/pipeline
>	product for IPSec.

I'm sure. But when a customer already has existing equipment that can
do it for free. they're going to want to try it out. I've warned them.

>	I think the principle issue is that if you say the P130 can do
>	IPSec, and that it has a T1/E1 interface, people would do IPSec
>	at T1/E1 rate.

People! ;-)

http://www.lucent-info.com/ins/firewallforfree/ was pointed out to me off-list.

>	In the sales documents there is no mention of P130 and IPSec.

The Pipeline 130 datasheet at
http://www.lucent.com/ins/library/pdf/datasheets/p130ds.pdf avoids
mentioning IPSec, but talks all about it's 'Secure Connect Firewall
VPN' capabilities. Various documents on eSight cover configuring
IPSec on the Pipe 130 explicitly.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/