At 08:36 AM 7/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, ISPstuff wrote:
>>All I can say is that v.92 is a big waste of money so far.  I picked up a
>>USR v.92 external Sportster as a test and it won't connect to our TNT with
>>either moh (modem on hold) or quick-connect enabled.
>
>Did you bother to read the release note(s) for the code you loaded?  In
>my opinion, Lucent's V.92 support was created by their marketing department.
>They don't support anything of value -- PCM upstream, fast connect, ...

Of course I did.  That is how I learned how to turn the features on and off
on the TNT.  They are off by default.  I see value in both moh and quick
connect.  PCM Upstream is no yet available according to the release notes.
The others are there but don't seem to work with USR v.92.

>I think CommWorks (aka 3Com, aka USR) are the only people with "functional"
>(for various definitions) PCM upstream.
>
>I know customers are idiots (tm).  However, someone has to try to make them
>happy -- or at least stop whining.  These are likely also the same people
>who cry about their "56k" modem not connecting at 56k.  Modems are slow -
>PERIOD.  If you want speed, pay for it. (Cable modem, DSL, microwave,...)

As a full service ISP we support our customers and the connection type that
they buy.  I wouldn't call them idiots.  We send the troublesome customers
to our competition.  Most of our customers are quite reasonable and modems
do fill a niche.

I have used ISDN at home for a few years as well but I plan on putting a
tower up (lots of trees) one of these days so I can tap in to our wireless
network.  I really don't like supporting the LEC any more than necessary.

Tom

>--Ricky
>
>PS: I've lived on ISDN for years.  64k is fast enough for most things.  So
>    I cannot leach warez and porno as fast as it's posted; big deal.

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com