Peter, I'm going to disagree with you.  You can only use Slot 0 if you are
using PRI and he is using CT1.

Let me explain.  In the PRI world, the D channel does all of the signaling
and call setup so it tells the max whether or not the incoming call needs to
be routed to the digital control processor on the max for an ISDN call or to
a modem for an analog call.  The default setting to allow this is slot=0.
Now with a Channelized T-1 there is no D channel to tell the max how to
handle the call.  You must tell your max what slot your modems are on so it
can hand off the call to an analog modem.  My suggestion (and the manuals)
would be to set all of the channels on the max to slot 3.  I.e.  "ch 1
slot=3", "ch 2 slot=3" and so forth for all 24 channels on the T-1.  setting
as below.

x  Ch 1=Switched
x  Ch 1 #=
x  Ch 1 Slot=3
x  Ch 1 Prt/Grp=0
x  Ch 1 TrnkGrp=N/A
x  Ch 2=Switched
x  Ch 2 #=
x  Ch 2 Slot=3

Now, if you are seeing the call hit the max and get an immediate busy
signal, then make sure that your Telco is not sending any CLI/ANI or any
digits across the T-1.   If they are, you will still get the same busy
signal because the max doesn't know what to do with that information so it
returns a busy signal.   It is an obscure statement in the users manual that
drove me nuts for a month on a test machine before I finally found it.

Steven Copeland

Network Administrator
Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
http://www.pldi.net