Once upon a time, Thomas C Kinnen <tkinnen at lucentradius.com> said:
> up at 3.am wrote:
> > "Toy versions"?  I guess FreeBSD is a "Toy OS" and only Solaris, HP/UX,
> > etc. are "real".  Yeah, radiator has alot of neat features.  However, alot
> > of people find that cistron and freeradius do everything they need a
> > radiusd to do.  Certainly alot more than Lucendington's...
>
> I'm assuming you mean the old 1.16 and 2.1 no charge servers.
> FreeRadius/Cistron does not come close to what NavisRadius 3.x or the upcoming
> 4.x can do.

But does everyone need all the extra features?  I don't see that much
difference in the feature set of FreeRADIUS and NavisRadius 3.0 (except
that FreeRADIUS doesn't depend on a reliable Java runtime).  I currently
use Cistron RADIUS with some local patches, and it meets my needs quite
well.

When Livingston started using Java for their GUI management tools, I
thought it was a good idea.  I don't like Java for a daemon that I have
to have 100% reliability from though.  I'd use Radiator (written in
Perl) before using something written in Java.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>