> But does everyone need all the extra features?  I don't see that much
> difference in the feature set of FreeRADIUS and NavisRadius 3.0 (except
> that FreeRADIUS doesn't depend on a reliable Java runtime).  I currently
> use Cistron RADIUS with some local patches, and it meets my needs quite
> well.

There is a quite a difference in the feature set.  NR is basically a
NavisRadius development kit that does not require extensive programming skills
and can be made to fit the business needs of a situation rather then making the
needs fit the server.    I could probably give you a better detailed list in a
few weeks when I start running a few feature comparisons for he marketing
people.

> When Livingston started using Java for their GUI management tools, I
> thought it was a good idea.  I don't like Java for a daemon that I have
> to have 100% reliability from though.  I'd use Radiator (written in
> Perl) before using something written in Java.

What would be your reasoning behind this?  In a number of large deployments
(excess of 400k ports) customers are finding the NR written in Java is faster
and more stable then the C based servers that is it replacing.   This becomes
very apparent as the number of CPUs is scaled up.  One customer found that NR
on one 4 CPU enterprise 450 could handle the load that the previous server was
have problems on 9 of the same servers (working on getting the issues taken
care of so more info on this can be released).

As of Java 1.3 I believe the latest tests (I would need to check but this is
what I heard) showed that properly optimized java code and properly optimized C
code for server applications was with in 10% of each other.  In many cases Java
protects from common errors in C programs.

--
Thomas C Kinnen - <tkinnen at lucentradius.com> <kinnen at lucent.com>
[RADIUS Engineer] - LUCENT Technologies INS