On Wed, 30 May 2001, ISPstuff wrote:

> I agree and am outraged.  I just moved to a TNT with APX cards.  Lucent is
> following the monopolist model inherited from their parent AT&T.  Buy up
> two excellent companies with superior products and free support, and then
> when the competition and choice is gone, start charging for previously free
> services.
>
> I have not made the decision yet but may be stopping at 9.0-159 and looking
> for alternatives.

We finally descided to switch to Cisco. For the port density we need (2
PRIs at most + a few frame T1s) it just made more sense to replace our (2
year old) MAX 6000 routers with the 3660s. They aren't as simple to
configure, but we haven't had any problems with the vendor telling us that
a problem we have is actually a new software feature (the 195 list if
you need to ask...)

We even looked at a low end CVX. While it would be nice to have something
that can handle that many calls, it core dumped every time I changed the
terminal server config with someone online. And we would have had to have
a seperate router to handle the frame relay T1s. I didn't enjoy
configuring the thing either. At least the Ascend routers (before the TNT)
had a menu to help you navigate the configuration.

--
Steve Haavik
Sailor Operations Center
shaavik at soc.lib.md.us