On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:46:01PM +0100, Dr. Wolfgang Beneicke wrote:
> > its a long time ago that i configured a Pipline but as far as i can
> > remember it can act as an DNS as well.
>
> This will not work in all cases as expected.
>
> The newer pipelines can maintain a local name list of 8 hosts maximum.
> Name requests which can be served from this list will not be forwarded
> to the Client DNS.
>
> You have to configure the names manually (it is not a DNS cache), the IP
> addresses can be updated automatically. See yourself at Mod Config ->
> DNS.
>
> Note that this will not be changed according to the provider you use.
> Actually I can't see any difference between using the static list or
> always the same external DNS regardless of the connection used.
>
> BTW, I haven't had any trouble resolving names on a DNS from a different
> provider. Only if you use private names (local to the network behind a
> connection profile) this won't work at all.

Yes, using just one ISP's DNS is what I do at the moment and it works
OK but it must surely slow things down a little as the DNS requests
have to be routed from the ISP where you are dialled in to the ISP
whose DNS server you are using.

As I have a Linux box on the SoHo network which stays on all the time
one option is to set up a local DNS server on the Linux box and point
all the other systems at that one.  It's just a pity that the Pipeline
can't act as a proper DNS server.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)
  Home: chris at isbd.co.uk		 Work: cgreen at bcs.org.uk