Hello!  I have a very odd and strange problem that I am encountering only
with TNT's acting as DR in OSPF.  The TNT's are running 8.0.2, 8.0.3 and
8.0.5.  The problem is as follows:

OSPF is running on broadcast media and all OSPF devices are in area 0.0.0.0

OSPF adjacencies form like they should and everything for the most part
works great

When OSPF is configured to be a DR on the TNT, a Redback SMS-500 on the
network receives an LSA from the TNT and puts it into its ip routing table
with a next-hop for that route of all 255.255.255.255 learned from OSPF.

Only the TNT IP pools show up on the SMS with the problem as having a
next-hop of all 255.255.255.255 on the Redback's ip routing table.

The issue takes longer to appear and is less noticeable if the TNT does not
have a lot of traffic.

No other devices on the network report the next-hop as all 255.255.255.255
for the same route except the Redback.

The problem is only when the TNT is a DR and not a BDR.

Here is a capture from the ospfd that I ran on the TNT when it was a DR and
I am curious to know whether this is normal and what the significance of the
EXPORT and the - / + signs are.  (note the 255.255.255.255 showing up as a
gateway):

OSPF-16703252: Export -> [-] dst=212.xxx.xxx.0/28 gw=255.255.255.255 if=-1
cost=16
OSPF-16703252: Export -> [+] dst=212.xxx.xxx.0/28 gw=212.xxx.xxx.xxx if=13
cost=2

I have set up 3 different TNT's acting as a DR and running different code
and the problem was still noted regardless of the code.

I am working with Redback on this as well but since the problem is only when
the TNT is a DR and cant avoid not looking at the TNT as the cause of the
problem.  Any other device on the network (except the TNT's) that are
configure to be a DR do not cause any problems.

So far, Lucent's answer from escalation on this was "why am I using the TNT
as a router if is not intended to be used as a router or as a DR in OSPF?".
I understand Lucent's point and yeah they are correct to say that the TNT is
not a router but why put a functionality on the TNT if is not going to work
correctly.  I must say that it is to early to note whether the problem is
the TNT or the Redback but like I said before, I cant exclude either one.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
JNCIS, CCNA, LSCP, MCP
SoluNet Technical Support