>I have a problem that I hope someone can help me
>with. I have a Max 6096
>that appears to have a defunct console port. As far
>as I know the box has
>no config on it. Is there a way to force the console
>to work or test it
>somehow? Is it even possible that it is disabled via
>the software?
>
>Thank you.

>Jeremy Bushman                  (Voice) 563-557-5075
>Network Operations Center
>MidWest Communications, Inc.
>241 Main St.                    noc at mwci.net
>Dubuque, IA  52001              jbushman at mwci.net

Jeremy,
1) There is no way to disable the console port on a
MAX 3000/4000/6000 or pipeline.  On the TNT, it is
possible to password the port, but on the MAX line,
you can get to the console view just by hooking up the
correct cable to the port.  You are using a
straight-thru cable aren't you?  The pinouts are in
the manual, and remember to try all of the speeds that
your terminal emulator is capable of.
2)  If the console port is bad, consider using
NavisConnect to access the unit over ethernet.  Just
connect it to the network, let NavisConnect sniff for
the MAC address, and try and configure it using SNMP.
Of course, if you don't have the full access password
or the SNMP password, you will need to Nindy the unit
first [Disclaimer:  If I had a dollar for every
MAX/Pipeline that failed to come back to life after a
nindy, well, I'd have more than a few dollars.  It's a
risk]

Robert Carr
Ex-Escalation TNT/MAX Group Lucent/Ascend
Anybody in Seattle want to give me a job?