Tom,
I think the problem stems from the fact that you
haven't told the Max that it should use multiple
pools.  When I looked up multiple pools in the RADIUS
manual, it seemed that if the Max did not have any
instructions on which pool to use, it would default to
the first pool (or if it was given instructions to use
a pool without addresses or one that was unconfigured
it would also default to the first pool).  Try adding
a pool attribute to your user profile(probably
Ascend-IP-Pools=0) and setting it to zero, which
should get the Max to refer to it's configuration for
any available IP pool.

Good Luck,
Ex-Escalation TNT/MAX Group Lucent/Ascend
Anybody in Seattle want to give me a job?