There is a well-known incompatibility in the encoding of the Password
attribute with the RFC if you use auth-radius-compat = old-ascend. It is
noticeable with some passwords more than others.

If you haven't done so already, try changing this to either
'vendor-specific' or '16-bit-vendor-specific'. You will need to adjust your
radius server as well since all Ascend attributes will need to be sent with
vendor id = 529.