Whats up Ascend users...

I have an issue with a MAX-1800 and NAT.  I am doing IP only and have 8 bri
interfaces.  I am running 6.0.4 fbck.m18

What I am trying to do is dial into a partner site and hide all my traffic
as a 172. addr. to this network.  I am not being assigned an IP address by
this partner.  I have my local net, with hosts and the MAX.  I can
successfully connect to the partner and ftp to their ftp servers. I have
static routes on the MAX for their servers to the LAN address of their
router specified in my connection profile.  Pretty simple connection.  In
my connection profile,  under IP options, I have the LAN address of the
remote end router, and as the IF ADRS, I have an IP on the same network,
which is the address I want our traffic hidden behind.  I have tried this
scenario
with and without an IF adrs in the connection profile.

They have another set of servers I need to reach.  I  will only be able to
reach if I am hidden behind a 172 address, since they will not add static
routes for my return traffic, since the are publicly routable (which I
suppose is against their policies).
I have used NAT to connect pipelines to ISPs and hide a localnet behind the
ISP assigned addr, but the MAX is not setup like this, and when I enable
NAT weird things happen. I have download m18net.pdf  and read it.

First thing I do is :

go to ETHERNET-----> NAT  and turn Routing to YES.
for Profile, I put the ethernet connection profile name.
LAN is set to Single IP addr

As soon as I save this, my default route gets changed to the LAN address on
the connection profile. Since this is a problem, I disabled the default
route and added static routes back to my local nets, so if the default
route gets mangled, Im not stuck to console only.  For the FR address ( and
I know Im not using FrameRelay), if I leave at 0.0.0.0 or put an IP address
on the same network as the BRI interface (LAN Address)  I am able to ping
the first set of servers, but FTP does not work.  I can not ping the second
set of servers or FTP.

So my questions are this:

1) Is what I am trying to do possible?
2) Will I need to add static mappings back to the hosts that need to access
hosts using this connection?  Is appears as if
the return traffic is not making it.
3) Why does the default route change when I enable NAT and traffic is sent
to this remote network?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Rob

Robert Geller, CCSA, CCSE