If your unit is saying its unserialized after replacing a shelf contoller
you may have a very old apx 8000 made before the half slot card  was invented.

Pull out the power supply on the right facing the back of the machine and
look down and to the right and see if there is a small circuit board with 1 chip
 on it.

My guess is that you will not find this card there.  this means you  will
need a new back plane installed in your chassis and then you will need a  half
slot card to fix the machine.

I have the back planes instock but not sure if I have a half slot  card.

Best  Regards,

Mark Marovitch
Computer & Communications  Recyclers
2527 Cross Country Drive