Scott Dier wrote:

> After being off the list for a while I decided to read the archives a
> bit for this month.  I've read the thoughts about the network and I'm
> pretty worried about this secnario:
>
> ISP sets up VPN server on network.
> ISP offers pay-for-access model to anyone, but doesn't mention TCWUG,
> just makes a pretty map.
> Users have no knowledge of TCWUG and what the network is coming from
> TCWUG gets -$0- and falls fast into disarray with glut of new users.
>
> I've also done some thinking on how to mitigate that situation and I've
> come up with a bunch of blanks.  Most of them revolve on how to provide
> open access to individuals while denying abusive access.  I think the
> situation might be best worked out with the following:
>
> Two access levels, Supporting and Freeloader:

<snip>

After the last meeting, it struck me that others may have dollar signs before
their eyes, and as with linux, will gladly build upon the work - the donated,
<free> work of others, becoming the Redhat of Twin Cities wireless. If the cloud
is successful, then commercial interests, whether individual or corporate, or a
combination of the two, will use the network. This fact will transform the network
into a de facto commercial entity. That incurs liability.

Once any thing of value is exchanged, this project will be a commercial
enterprise. This group really should consider the ramifications of this: once
commercial traffic is allowed on the cloud, and such traffic is transferred to the
Internet, this group will become a wireless backbone supplier, and anyone running
an AP, an ISP.

Considering the above, I strongly suggest, at the very least, incorporating as a
non-profit. That way, any work that is done can only be used for the TCWUG
wireless network, and any work: siting, propagation estimates, development methods
and data, antenna configurations, et. al. would be proprietary, and could only be
used if TCWUG, as a non-profit corporate entity, gives permission, in return for a
fee, for the use of such facilities or proprietary methods and data. The moneys
would be re-invested into TCWUG. Call it a cooperative.

I am <not> going to give anyone the benefit of my knowledge of and experience in
urban radio propagation if that knowledge will be exploited for <their>
enrichment, but I will gladly donate it as a volunteer for a non-profit, as long
as the work is protected.

Neal: nkras at nkras.dsl.visi.com