On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 06:21:21PM -0500, the estimable Mr. Helgeson wrote:
> <reply>
> If they said it was a firewall, then people will think it is a firewall
> and want to have it filter their internet connection. That's not what it
> does.  If they said it was a VPN concentrator, then the morons of the
> world will try and terminate their remote users on AOL on the thing,
> it's not that either. It is an appliance that uses several technologies.

the problem with that logic is that we've gone from a situation where some
people understand what it is and how it could be used, to a situation where
*no-one* understands what it is. (at least not without spending 10 minutes
on their site).
	if you hadn't recommended it, and given a brief description of what
it could be used for, I never would have looked past the first page of their
site because it would have looked like a complete waste of time.

> IMHO, to use the words you have will only serve to confuse people into
> thinking they can buy this thing and use it in place of their
> WatchGuard.

I would posit that those people are confused/ignorant in the first place,
and in trouble no matter what they do. if you rely on marketing people to
tell you how to build your network, you shouldn't be building networks.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises