On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 09:01:19AM -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Mike Horwath wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:20:29PM -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:
> > > 1: I don't wardrive.
> >
> > For now.
>
> Ever. Period.
>
> If I were ever going to I would have already.
> If someone wants to allow me access to their
> network, I expect that they will find a way to let me
> know about it. Otherwise I am uninvited and I just
> don't do it.
>
> Any implication otherwise could be taken as a personal
> affront, but given the medium I will not take offense.
> This time.

Now I'm going to pipe up, I do war drive, I make some great maps that are
interesting to me, war driving is driving around detecting wireless networks,
simple as that, it does not necessarily mean that I'm hopping on them, or
doing anything illegal. Some people do actually war drive simply to keep
themselves aware of what's going on in the 2.4ghz band.

It's like driving around neighborhoods looking at cars parked in the
driveway, i can note what kind of cars they are, and be impressed by the
ones that go vroom-vroom, it doesn't mean I hopped in for a test drive.

There have been quite a few people who go war driving that found things
such as best buy's insecure network (that's still insecure), AP's at
lockheed martin, banks, medical institutions, etc. an attempt to notify
people at those places is made, and is sometimes successful. (Lockheed
Martin got rid of their insecure AP, best buy turned off their access
points for a while, then changed SSID (not secure), the medical inst. and
banks that I know of have ignored it because there was no publicity)

Most people have cars capable of going ~100mph, it doesn't mean they do it.

(Yes, I have hopped on access points before, but really, I can go home and
sit on the couch to play on the net, it's really not interesting anymore.)