On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 03:40:17PM -0500, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> Now I'm going to pipe up, I do war drive, I make some great maps
> that are interesting to me, war driving is driving around detecting
> wireless networks, simple as that, it does not necessarily mean that
> I'm hopping on them, or doing anything illegal. Some people do
> actually war drive simply to keep themselves aware of what's going
> on in the 2.4ghz band.

There is some assumption people are making that might not be 'valid'.

First, wardriving does not mean you are for sure stealing bandwidth,
but I can say that not everyone is nice and not everyone is willing to
pay and find it easier to steal *anything*.

Second, wardriving is like the old days of people wardialing - you are
looking for 'openness'.  I used to wardial in the old days, having an
applecat and some software made it easy, then the USR HST came out,
and new software made it easy there as well.  Why?  Well, I was
looking for openness.

> It's like driving around neighborhoods looking at cars parked in the
> driveway, i can note what kind of cars they are, and be impressed by
> the ones that go vroom-vroom, it doesn't mean I hopped in for a test
> drive.

And there are those that would assume you are 'casing' - looking for
your next thrill ride.

> Most people have cars capable of going ~100mph, it doesn't mean they
> do it.

Most people have knives in their house, doens't mean they are going to
cut chicken tonight with it.

Point?  There is none.

> (Yes, I have hopped on access points before, but really, I can go
> home and sit on the couch to play on the net, it's really not
> interesting anymore.)

Thrill for you is over...that isn't true for everyone.

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427