Richard T Nechanicky wrote:
> Fedex-ing the antenna is not an option since I am
> often at multiple locations within the same
> week...portability was unfortunately a major criteria
> for selection.
>
> I do have the cisco cards (350s), and agree that they
> kick out more than 100mW, but they will not (to my
> knowledge) connect to the antennas I am looking at.

Do you have the PCM series or the LMC series ? Nate
has first hand experience hooking the LMCs to external
antennae; you have to get out the soldering iron to
add a pigtail to the PCM series, I believe.

> You may be able to help me jerry rig it, and if so by
> all means please do (this is something I would like to
> get out of this mailing list).  Otherwise I will have
> to use one of my Orincos which are about 100mW...The

I thought Orinocos had a lower output power. One of
mine has the FCC ID: IMRWLPCE24H, hunting that down
through the FCC web site leads me to a test report:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=226897&native_or_pdf=pdf

Page 28 states that the output power is approx 14dBm,
or around 25mW. Are there high power Orinoco cards
out there ?

The FCC ID for the Cisco cards is: LDK102040 and
the reports confirm the 100mW output power.

> only reason I am getting the 100mW is because that was
> all the vendor had below 250mW and it was thrown in at
> no additional cost (i.e. package deal).
>
> Let me know if you (or anyone else out there) knows
> how I can hook the cisco card up to an external
> antenna.

Assuming that it's not a LMC-series card (in which
case it's a MMCX [thanks to Nate for that detail],
and a simple pigtail is all that is needed), you
may want to try and retro-fit a pig-tail to a PCM
series card, but it'll probably be an irreversible
change. Here's a photo of a Linksys card doctored in
this manner:

	http://www.geocities.com/andyw_lala/wpc11-pigtail.jpeg

Internally, many PCMCIA cards have a tiny connector before the
built-in antenna, which is used during manufacturing
test. You can remove this connector and solder a pigtail
directly to the card as shown in the photo above. I've
not done this mod on a Cisco card.

Violates the FCC type approval, but if you're trying
to make a piece of test equipment, and it'll still be
within the rules, I don't see a problem. YMMV.

You sound like you know your way around this kind
of system well enough, but the biggest problem
people have at these extended ranges is building
a balanced system, IMHO. Your task is doubly
complex because it sounds like you cannot modify
the other end of the link, so any gain you add
to your tx path needs to be added to your rx path
also. It is easier to add tx gain than useful
rx gain, so you might end up being rx limited.
The orinoco cards seem to be very well balanced,
the output power matches the rx sensitivity well.

Can you tell us more about what you need to
accomplish for your clients from 12-15 miles out ?
[partially so we can be more specific with our
comments, partially just because we're geeks...]
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634