i think you're missing the point here.  there are company's that are
willing to give significant discounts to user groups.  i've been
researching the options that are available to us for getting reduced
pricing on gear, books and swag in general.

these "organizations", as you refer to them, want to make sure that
these groups are legitimate and that they really are open groups and
not just little fiefdoms of people looking for a cheap rate.

they're not looking to spam the mailing lists.

out of curiosity - what metrics are applied to people who make
subscription submissions?  this is more of a rhetorical question than
anything else.  i'm not accusing bob, et al of anything i'm just
saying that even with a manual process there's nothing to preclude the
subscription of devious .

i suggest we open it up and deal with problems on an a priori basis.
in my experience the administration of such a model is far less than the
administration of the current model and leads to a more open dialog.

when last we saw our hero (Friday, May 31, 2002),
 Ben Lutgens was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC