As you know, I am trying to build a wireless bridge by bouncing the
signal off a water tower with two parabolic dishes on top.  This setup
would require no radio.  I had contacted the City of Brooklyn Park to
inquire about putting an antenna atop their water tower.  They stated
that they would take my information and discuss it in a committee
meeting. Their response just went to prove that they are truly
government employees and not capitalists.  They said "No".  Plain and
simple.

They stated that they didn't want private companies putting gear atop
their water tower for a bridge link.  They stated that if they did, they
would then have to offer the same thing to all the other businesses in
the area and they just didn't have the real estate atop the tower to
support hundreds of bridge relays. (?).

I told them that if demand increases, that's when they raise the price
as the space became at a premium.  I was completely flabbergasted by
their response. At no price did they want to give us access.  They
apparently have no problem giving access to big companies such as
cellular carriers and WISP's, etc, but as far as the private smaller
companies are concerned, you're S.O.L.

What are your thoughts on this?  Are these people dense?  I was
astounded by their decision.  They stated that if I wanted to appeal the
decision, I could take it to the City Council where I would have to
explain to these people what a wireless bridge is as they come up with
irrelevant arguments regarding their concerns about it interfering  with
their cellular phone or how it will impact homeland security.

Can you believe this?!

Joel R. Helgeson

Director of Networking & Security Services

SymetriQ Corporation, www.symetriq.com

8500 Normandale Lake Boulevard, Suite 1670

Bloomington, Minnesota 55437-3813

Office: (952) 921-8869

Cell: (651) 270-7521

"An investment in knowledge pays the best dividends." - Benjamin
Franklin