Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Regarding the assertion that companies don't want to know about security
> vulnerabilities:
>
> Thirty-one percent of executives surveyed by Jupiter Research cited low
> network security as the number one barrier to deployment of WLANs, their top
> concern centering on rogue users accessing the corporate network from
> outside the corporation.

So that's 31% of the population that's unlikely to show up
in your kismet log. A large proportion of the other 69%
might have WLANs deployed by IT folks who are *very*
unlikely to appreciate you turning up on their doorstep
implicitly saying "you're incompetant" (which is how
the pointy-haired types will intepret your intervention.)

I agree with those that suggest that if you regard this
as a problem (and there's obviously more than 1 school
of thought on that); education is the answer - it's just
a fairly long (and unprofitable) process.

Don't look for people to answer the door with a look
of grateful relief (or with their checkbook already open.)

IMHO, things like kismet logs are useful at two extrememly
different levels:

1. tracking down a particular problem (like the coverage of
   node x, the source of interference, etc.)

2. at the level of aggregated statistics (overall percentage
   of secure/insecure APs, rate of deployment, AP density
   per unit area, residential vs. commercial, making pretty
   maps, etc.)

To me, they seem of limited use between these two extremes.

BTW - did you ever get your Airport/XP problem ironed out,
if so, what was the trick ?
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634