8273 Westwood Hills Curve
St. Louis Park, MN  55426
952-525-1584
mellsworth at stratvantage.com
www.StratVantage.com
www.TheWiFiGuys.com

deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Ben Franklin, ~1784
-----Original Message-----
From: tcwug-list-admin at tcwug.org [mailto:tcwug-list-admin at tcwug.org]On
Behalf Of Neal Krasnoff
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 11:04 AM
To: TCWUG
Cc: TC UNWIRED
Subject: [TCWUG] Minneapolis e-democracy postings

 From the mpls list, and my response and invitation:

From: "John Erwin" <erwin001 at umn.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 22, 2003  9:14:54  AM US/Central
To: <mpls at mnforum.org>
Subject: [Mpls] RE: WI-FI through the Parks

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I initiated a process where the
Minneapolis Park System would start exploring providing WI-FI internet
access to Minneapolis citizens through the park system.  The Park Board
approved my motion to initiate exploring providing WI-FI through
recreation centers with a unanimous vote.  Annie Young has also been
particularly supportive of this effort.

A few things came together at once that spurred this on: 1) I remember
Phyllis Kahn suggesting such an idea awhile ago, 2) my new portable
computer and many other new ones are now sold 'wireless ready' (times
have clearly changed), and 3) routers now have a distance of 3.5
kilometers.  The increase in router range now allows complete coverage
of Minneapolis from Park Recreation Centers (Minneapolis has 49
recreation centers).  Minneapolis is unique in that it has a grid of
recreation centers all with active web capabilities. We also recognize
that there will likely be some cost for this service to users.  I
envision interested Minneapolis residents purchasing an annual password
that would enable internet access at their local recreation center for a
nominal fee.

Clearly, other organizations should and would be part of this.  For
instance, the School Board, I imagine, would be interested.  In
addition, the mayor has clearly identified an interest in this for some
time and is also exploring this area.  Lastly, the Green Institute may
have an interest in participating.  However, the Park Board already has
the physical infrastructure to mount the routers on.

My hope is that such an effort would make web access more affordable and
accessible in Minneapolis while decreasing some infrastructure costs in
city/park/school government facilities.  Thus, the average citizen with
other forms of internet access would likely save money.  Lastly, we
would have access anywhere, backyard, cars, parks, etc.

There is some precedent for this.  Paris just initiated WI-FI service
about 3-4 weeks ago.  Also, it is my understanding that Buffalo,
Minnesota and Chaska, Minnesota both are initiating such a service as
well.

Let me know your thoughts/concerns/ideas! (erwin001 at umn.edu).

Sincerely,
John Erwin
Commissioner At-Large
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

------From: "N.I. Krasnov" <nkras at visi.com>
> Just wanted to let you know that I initiated a process where the
> Minneapolis Park System would start exploring providing WI-FI internet
> access to Minneapolis citizens through the park system.  The Park Board
> approved my motion to initiate exploring providing WI-FI through
> recreation centers with a unanimous vote.  Annie Young has also been
> particularly supportive of this effort.

We're already working on the Loring Park Project ;-)

http://www.tcwug.org

Our next meeting will be Tuesday, September 9th, 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Dunn Bros: upstairs at the conference table.
201 3rd Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401

N.I. Krasnov
Loring Park