On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 19:33, Mike Hicks wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 18:50, Brian Krebs wrote:
> > Thanks for all of the responses, but I still have some questions.
> > Apparently, I can use my phone to attach to my laptop and get an internet
> > connection through T-Zones.  Obviously, I'll need a cable to connect the two
> > as I don't have an ir or bt device for my laptop.  Where's a good place to
> > find one?  After I get the cable, what all needs to be set up on my laptop
> > in order to get the connection going?  Please forgive me, but I'm running
> > Windows XP, not Linux.  pause to let big gasp die down...  J/K
>
> It depends on the phone, of course.

To add to the phone advice, I'll chime in with my experience: I've got
tmobile service, and the sony ericsson T300.  The cool thing about the
phone is that it's got an IR port, and one day, sitting at a conference,
I thought "hey, I wonder if. . ."  and as it turns out, it works
beautifully.  I haven't tried it with Linux yet since I've no longer got
a laptop that runs linux, but Windows 2k recognized it as a modem over
an IR link and was happy to get on the 'net with it -- no cable, no
nothing.  Only downside is that it does run down the battery a bit more
quickly.

-arif