Further development on the Loring Park project was conducted today,
using Linksys WET11 and D-Link DWL-900AP+ equipment.  This final
configuration will translate RF signals from channel 11 to channel 2 (or
some other channel) will relay data from Paw (Node 415) to all remote
nodes through out the park area.

Relay Configuration:

Internet--->Gateway Node--->Relay Bridge--->Access Point--->End User.

1. Gateway Node will have a DHCP and captive portal, and will transmit
on channel 11.
2. Gateway Node will link to Relay Bridge using infrastructure mode.
3. Relay Bridge will connect to Access Point by a crossover ethernet
cable.
4. Access Point will relay DHCP and captive portal information to End
User.

We started out trying 2 WET11's linked together.  Andy could receive a
DHCP lease and browse the Internet with his Windows 98 laptop. Neal's
PowerBook was not able to connect to the Access Point and therefore was
not able to browse the Internet.  We did not have one Relay Bridge units
in an ideal location so there may have been a signal strength problem
with the Gateway Node, causing the PowerBook's inability to negotiate a
dhcp lease.  We gave up and moved to the D-Links.

The D-Links are very functional access points.  The can act as a client,
a bridge, or an access point that sends out DHCP leases. We configured
the WET11 as a Bridge and the DWL-900AP+ as an Access Point. Both
laptops were able to connect to the 900AP+ but were not getting DHCP
leases from the Gateway Node. It appeared that the D-Links would talk to
each other but not to the Host Access Point.

Since we were able to connect to the D-Link Access Point we swapped the
D-Link unit on the gateway side with a Linksys WET11.  This was
successful: we were able to negotiate DHCP leases and connect to the
internet.

A propagation test was conducted, but it was agreed that coverage would
improve once the sites and antennas were in place.

Andrew