Hello,

My comments are inline below...

At 12:31 AM 11/14/2003 -0600, you wrote:

The November meeting was smaller than usual, but we had some new faces and
interesting talk. To recap:

Loring Park
At this point, we have assembled all the equipment for two repeater
antennas, and are only  waiting on the go-ahead to install them. Weve been
in contact with MCTC, and the Facilities people over there are working on
getting us back on the roof. Keep your fingers crossed, but we should have
a signal in the park just in time to get a serious case of frostbite while
testing! Seriously, we hope to finish testing over the winter, and have
enough of the bugs worked out to be able to go public in the spring.

Next steps for the park: Andrew Z. is working on the capture page that
people will see when they access the network. (forgive me if Im mangling
technical phrases, Im a non-engineer), Neal K. is (among other things)
pulling together a materials list so we have a record of what goes into
these sites, and Hadi is looking into a method to reset the repeater sites
remotely if they lock-up.

<<<<

Just as an FYI I have found some commercial remote-reset boxes.  They tend
to go by the name of dead-man switches or watchdog timers.  One commercial
unit I found had an ethernet interface with an embedded web server to let
you power cycle an AC power outlet.  That unit cost a little over $200.
The nice thing about it is it only needed an ethernet cable to connect to
the controlling network.  I'm pretty sure I can come up with something else
for much cheaper, although it'll probably need a 9-pin serial or parallel
port to get the watchdog signal from, and it won't have a built in web server.

How much power does this reset switch need to handle?  It'd be pretty easy
to handle a 600 watt load with the TRIAC based design I'm thinking of.  It
looks to me as if right now we only will have 2 radios and a hub drawing
power up there, for a total of say 60 watts (max)...so even if we added a
Soekris/standard PC/old laptop/etc. I don't see it overloading anything.
(Are we putting a PC up there or not?  I think one will be needed to create
watchdog signals and to interface my design with, and it may also be needed
to handle the captive portal system (Nocat/Wirewall/etc.).  The commercial
unit I mentioned above wouldn't need a PC, but $$$.)

How quickly should the reset command be acted upon?  Is a 10 second delay
from issuing a reset command reasonable?  15 seconds?  1 minute?  Greater
delay times give us more time to cancel a command, and give a larger
cushion before reset if the periodic watchdog signal is missed due to an
intermittant connection fault.

Press Attention
We seem to be getting more press attention lately  see the recent Skyway
News article posted to the list, and both KMSP and KSTC have expressed
interest in doing a wireless story. Most of the interest has been about
wireless in general, not the group in particular, but we seem to be seen as
a good source of  information; as  the Twin Cities Wireless Users Group
was founded to promote wireless use for the greater Metro Area I think we
can all give ourselves a big pat on the back for making some progress on
that part of the mission! Ive asked Rick Tanner (our resident webmaster)
about setting up a general email address (info at tcwug.org) that we can refer
any press or general public questions to. Watch this space for more info
about that.

<<<<

Indeed...lets do our best to ensure wireless isn't given a bad rap or made
into a scary thing.  The idea that wardriving does not equate to hacking or
cracking is important.  Wardriving is much closer to simply using your car
radio to see who the local broadcasting stations are.  An alternative
analogy is walking through a neighborhood and listening for people who are
shouting in their apartments and can be heard from the sidewalks.  People
who don't want to be heard can talk more quietly (use lower transmitter
power settings) or use a language that makes it hard to understand (WEP).
As WEP is 'weak' and kinda easy to crack, it's kinda like speaking in
pig-latin or carny or maybe Martian.

City Council actions
Hopefully, youve heard that the Minneapolis City Council is looking into
putting a fee-based wireless network in Loring Park.
[http://www.skywaynews.net/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/October/2
7-966-news10.txt] Im sending a letter to Councilmember Schiff introducing
him to our group, explaining our goals and mission, perhaps inviting him to
a meeting? Ill cc the list when I send the letter.

Thats about all we covered at the meeting. Attendees, if I missed
anything, please post and correct.

Next meeting: December 9th, same time same place. Note: apparently, the
mapquest directions are incorrect. The Dunn Bros location is at the north
end of 3rd Ave, near the river. Ill try to find better directions to send
out with the reminder.

<<<<

We could put a map image and driving directions from major local roads
(I-94, etc.) on the website showing the location.  Then there'd be no need
to for folks to use the faulty MapQuest info.

Please reply with questions or comments,
Ben

--
Ben Nelson
612.685.9116 cell
benmgroup at earthlink.net

Minnesota
http://www.tcwug.org
tcwug-list at tcwug.org

<<<<

"If you're reading this, read it again."