>I think a bunch of TCWUG members should sign in, and all vote to
>hold a "meet-up" at a particular place while laying low about the
>TCWUG until we better know how this MeetUp thing seeks to control
>local publicity, membership, and activity.  Something about this
>MeetUp group has a smell about it..
>IMHO.

Skepticism is a good thing.

I'm not an active member of this (TCWUG) group, but do lurk and watch
what's up. I've met the founders of "Meet-Up", examined the concept,
and visited the site - I think its a good concept, run by good
people, and very useful for connecting people who aren't already
connected.

I'm not sure if it will be a successful business model or how much
value it has to group like TCWUG. The main value would probably be in
helping to select a meeting location, but it might also help recruit
new members.

NOTE: I've not actually attended any "Meet-Up" events.

I know that the Brewery Cafe, on West 7th is a meet-up location
(businesses hoping to attract Meet-Up meetings pay for the service).
The Brewery Cafe also has a wireless connection and a meeting space.
(Disclosure: I know the owners and am planning some meetings there
myself).

For those who know Steve Clift, I'm pretty sure that he knows the
"Meet-Up" people as well.

I hope that this is helpful.

If your ever interested in talking about E-Democracy, please let me
know. I'd be happy to come to to a meeting or correspond in this list.

Best wishes,

--
Tim Erickson
List Manager
tim at politalk.com

St. Paul Links - http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul/links.html

"The St. Paul Issues Forum is a interactive e-mail discussion on
important issues about St. Paul public policy. Participation is free
and open to anyone. We currently have about 350 concerned citizens
and community leaders subscribed to our discussion."