On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, James Fischer wrote:
>> I'll warn you this is not true.  Cisco has refused to allow us to place
>> any equipment not purchased directly from Cisco on a support contract.
>> And I've talked to people at Cisco -- they don't like the policy either.
>
>This seems silly - what with resellers, dealers, system integrators, and
>other "middlemen", how is Cisco to know "new" versus "used"?

They know to whom they are sending their hardware.  Supposedly, dealers
register all the equipment they sell.

>I have never had Cisco refuse to put ANY of their gear on a support
>contract, and I even (gasp!) have traded gear with my peers with
>wild abandon.

We have a 7206VXR they refuse to put under contract because we didn't buy it
directly from Cisco.  It's still under the contract of it's previous owner.
And we have several other items under contract for which Cisco claims they
have no records. (If I have to hold them at gun point to fix anything, what's
the point in paying for support?  Granted, Cisco is alot better than almost
every other vendor...)

And yes, it's a stupid policy.  With all the failed "dot coms", there's a
large market of "used" hardware -- some if it never having come out of the
box.  I'm sure Cisco isn't happy about all that cheap hardware that, in many
cases, may have never been paid for.

--Ricky

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com