See this regularly on a Max 6000 [8.0.3] as well.
Try getting more info on the model of computer and
then go to this "majorly wrapped" address for a current modem driver.
There are all kinds of known problems with these modems just no real
clear fixes.

http://search.compaq.com/cgi-bin/query?mss=simple&pg=q&what=web&stovokor=com&limiter=com&subsitearea=&site=main&kl=en&q=hcf+micromodem+drivers&search.x=6&search.y=7

This might do the trick.
Hope this helps.