** From: owner-ascend-users at max.bungi.com
** [mailto:owner-ascend-users at max.bungi.com]On Behalf Of Chris Green
** Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 2:31 AM
** To: ascend-users at bungi.com
** Subject: Re: (ASCEND) This list
**
** On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:10:15PM -0500, Troy Settle wrote:
** >
** > How about this?
** >
** > Pipeline 75
** > External modem
** >
** > run a phone line from the POTS port on the pipeline to the
** modem.  Then run
** > a serial cable from the modem to the console port on the pipeline.
** >
** > Dial in, then tell the pipeline to initiate a call.
** >
** That assumes that I have a modem at the remote end, which I don't.
**
**
** > An easier way, would be to configure both ends of the ISDN
** connection to
** > autodial when they sense any traffic.
** >
** The remote end doesn't have ISDN either, it has a permanent high
** speed link to the Internet.
**
**
** Let me explain a little more.  From work I'd like to be able to wake
** up my home network and get it to connect to the Internet so that I
** can then telnet into it (for example).  At work I have a Sun Ultra
** and a PC on my desk both with permanent fast connections to the
** Internet, there are no modems or ISDN TAs or anything like that
** around the place.  I do of course have a telephone on my desk.
**
** Thus the requirement is that a phone call to a specific number (I
** have MSN on my ISDN at home, thus there are 8 numbers) should get the
** Linux machine at home (which is always on) to try and connect which
** will wake up the Pipeline.
**
** This can be done with a modem on the Linux box and a script which is
** run when an incoming call is detected but I wondered if there was
** some more direct way of doing it with the Pipeline.
**
** --
** Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)
**   Home: chris at isbd.co.uk		 Work: cgreen at bcs.org.uk