Hi Jim,

	I believe that the support web site now allows you
	to re-generate the hash codes for an unserialized
	pipeline now by entering the serial number printed
	on the base of the unit.

	Also, Lucent is working toward improving the self-help
	nature of the http://support.lucent.com web site to
	integrate more features such as access to a solution
	database, which may help you to address these issues
	without directly contacting an engineer.

	If you are having problems with accessing the support
	site, please provide information by the feedback form
	here:

https://support.lucent.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+dns.unauth.assistancerequ
est

	As you say, Lucent has not been making a profit,
	but not everything comes down to money within the
	company.  I know a lot of the people who have been
	working in the (ex)Ascend/Lucent organization for
	a long time supporting paying and non-paying
	customers.

	Every one of them is interested in helping to solve
	the problems which users like yourself experience.

	The decisions which have been made regarding support
	contracts and software licensing have not been meant
	as an attack on the support which people who use our
	equipment.

	Obviously, Lucent is not in a position to give away
	support like it used to do (as a good-will gesture).

	Rather the decisions are aimed at focussing our efforts
	on the customers who have a contract and supporting
	their business needs.  Engineers' salaries must be paid,
	and those people who have service contracts with Lucent
	or its Resellers should get the best support possible.

	I'd better get back to work...

		Greg